Monday, October 16, 2017

Trick or Treat - About Your Favorite #Halloween Candy by Kristin Wallace


So, we are just a couple weeks away from Halloween. As a kid I loved getting dressed up to go trick or treating. The best part of the night was sorting through the collected “treats” to find the best candy when we got home. I thought it might be fun to do some research on Halloween candy and find out what the most popular treats are.


First...did you know Americans spend about $2.5 billion (that’s right billion) on candy during Halloween? 

Companies and news organizations love to do polls, so of course someone did a poll about favorite Halloween candy…by state. Somehow, candy corn ranked #1 in 5 states. Not sure what’s wrong with those people.


And here is a list of the Top 25 most popular Halloween treats, according to The Daily Meal.

25. Whoppers – Malted milk balls. Not a fan.

24. Toblerone – Originally from Switzerland, but it’s caught on in the US.

23. Smarties – Colored sugar basically, with a hint of tartness. Are these the same as Sweet Tarts?

22. Air Heads – Developed in 1986. It’s soft, chewy & sour.

21. Sour Patch Kids – People love sour candy that turns sweet apparently.

20. Jolly Ranchers – Colorful, full of flavor, a little sour & sweet.

19. Swedish Fish – I have honestly never even heard of these.

18. Candy Corn – The National Confectioners Association claims 35 million pounds of this stuff is produced every year. Mostly I think they sit around in the candy bowl until everything else is gone so you HAVE to eat them.

17. Hershey’s Kisses – Did you know a machine wraps 1,300 kisses in foil per minute?

16. Dove Chocolate Bars – I go for the Dark Chocolate ones, bite-sized are the best.

15. Twix – Cookie, caramel and chocolate together, and it all works.

14. Almond Joy – Why? Why ruin good chocolate with coconut?

13. Butterfinger – I feel like I’m going to crack a tooth trying to eat these.

12. Milky Way – They say this was named after a malted milk shake (not the galaxy).

11. Hershey’s Cookies N’ Cream – I don’t understand the point of white chocolate at all.

10. 3 Musketeers – Did you know there were originally three flavors: strawberry, vanilla & chocolate? That’s where the “3” in the name comes from. In 1945, they started selling only the chocolate version.

9. Skittles – Strangest commercials ever, but they are pretty tasty.

8. Twix 4 To Go – How did Twix get on this list twice? Seems like cheating.

7. Starburst – Chewy, fruity, delicious addiction.

6. Twizzlers – I’ll eat them if I have to, but I won’t enjoy it.

5. Kit Kat Bar – You can’t eat one without singing the commercial.

4. Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Bar – This is like America’s chocolate bar. It’s been made in Hershey, Pennsylvania since 1900.

3. Snickers – This candy debuted in 1930. Best known these days for the “You’re not you when you’re hungry” commercials featuring actors like Betty White.

2. M&Ms – The real question for you is…plain or peanut?

1. Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups - YES…chocolate, peanut butter, deliciousness!

So, what is your favorite Halloween candy? Which did you love to find in your trick o’ treat bag? Which do you try to steal from your kids’ stash?


Kristin Wallace is the USA Today Best Selling Author of inspirational and contemporary romance, and women’s fiction filled with “Love, Laughter and a Leap of Faith”. She is the author of two best selling series, Shellwater Key Tales (sweet contemporary romance) and Covington Falls Chronicles (inspirational romance). Her latest book will release November 7th. Pre-order LOVING YOU AT CHRISTMAS, an all new holiday story and the final book in the Shellwater Key Tales series. 



AMAZON  /  ITUNES  /  KOBO  





4 comments:

Marcia King-Gamble said...

Kristin thanks for the fun facts. I'm a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup person all the way! That's my treat of choice.

Melanie D. Snitker said...

What a fun blog! I'm a huge candy fan. I even eat candy corn (though I prefer the chocolate candy corn to regular). But I think my favorite candy of all time is probably Red Vines. Mmmm!

Sarah Raplee said...

I've noticed some people are Twizzler people and some are Red Vine people. I'm one of those 'not a great taster' people who think they taste the same. As a kid, I always liked anything with chocolate or peanut butter. Still do, but alas, I have food allergies and can no longer indulge in anything but dark chocolate with no corn syrup or milk in it and only certain nuts. Luckily peanuts are okay!

The map was interesting. After the civil war, many people from the South and Texas migrated to the Northwest. Maybe their taste in candy did too! Texas and Oregon both love candy corn. Alabama and Washington State both love Air Heads. I'm just sayin'!

Judith Ashley said...

Fun post, Kristin. In the past it would be Snickers or Reese's Peanut Butter Cups but these days, I no longer eat candy. Lucky for me, all the kids are grown and gone. However, I can't believe that Candy Corn is #1 in Oregon. I don't know any one who eats it (or ever did).